Unlocking Build Over Agreements – How CCTV Surveys Streamline Your Project
Any construction project has the potential to be daunting. But when your home extension project involves building over or near existing infrastructure like sewer lines, water networks, or utility cables, the stakes rise considerably.
Enter the Build Over Agreement (BOA), a crucial safeguard for both developers and utility companies. These agreements ensure new construction doesn’t compromise existing infrastructure. And securing one can be a complex process.
This is where CCTV drain surveys emerge as your secret weapon. This innovative technology sheds light on the unseen, providing a detailed picture of buried pipes, their condition, and precise location. This invaluable information empowers you to:
- Gain BOA approval with confidence. Provide water and sewerage companies with irrefutable evidence that your project won’t disrupt their infrastructure.
- Minimise risk and save costs. Avoid costly surprises during construction by identifying potential issues like damage or misplacement of existing pipes.
- Streamline the approval process. Expedite the BOA application process by demonstrating proactive due diligence and commitment to safety.
In essence, CCTV surveys act as a bridge between your vision and a smooth construction journey. By illuminating the hidden world beneath your project, they pave the way for efficient BOA approval, protecting your investment and ensuring everyone involved is on the same page.
Understanding Build Over Agreements
A Build Over Agreement is a contract between you (the property owner or developer) and the water or sewerage utility company. It outlines everyone’s roles and responsibilities when construction happens over or near their assets, like pipes and cables.
Why is it important?
Ignore the BOA at your own peril. Building without permission can lead to legal action and hefty fines. The utility company needs to assess your plans and ensure they don’t disrupt their infrastructure or future maintenance.
How does it work?
- You submit your construction plans.
- The utility company reviews them and any required surveys.
- They decide whether to approve your project.
- If approved, the BOA outlines conditions and restrictions you must follow. These could involve specific construction methods, ongoing monitoring, or even limitations on future alterations.
Respecting BOAs avoids headaches and ensures your project runs smoothly. Get informed, obtain the necessary approvals, and build with confidence.
Seeing is Believing – How CCTV Surveys Can Streamline Build Over Agreements
Securing a Build Over Agreement (BOA) can feel like navigating a bureaucratic labyrinth. But CCTV drain survey can provide powerful support. High-tech CCTV cameras enter the drainage system and provide a detailed map of the underground infrastructure. This innovative resource unlocks numerous benefits for both utility companies and project owners.
1. Protecting Infrastructure Integrity
Utility companies require a detailed report on the state and positioning of the infrastructure below ground before construction starts. CCTV surveys act as their X-rays, revealing the true state of the underground network. Cracks, blockages, or corrosion – no secret is safe from the 360º gaze of the camera. This detailed information allows them to:
- Identify weaknesses before they become critical issues during construction.
- Understand the potential impact of your project on the existing infrastructure.
- Grant BOAs confidently, knowing the risks are minimal.
2. Proactive Problem Prevention
CCTV surveys give you a glimpse of potential drainage headaches before they materialise. They do this by identifying:
- Pipes or cables not on official maps, preventing accidental damage.
- Weak points in the network that could be worsened by construction.
- Past repairs or alterations to pipes and their potential impact.
You can proactively address these issues before they cause costly delays, rework, or even damage to the new construction.
3. Evidence for Approval with Confidence
Picture yourself presenting your project plans to the utility company, armed with nothing but hopeful smiles and good intentions. Now imagine having a detailed, visual portfolio showcasing your commitment to safety and compliance. That’s the power of a CCTV survey. It provides:
- Visual proof of minimal risk.
- A demonstration of compliance with safety regulations.
- A clear understanding of the impact of your project on existing utilities.
Remember, information is power, and when it comes to navigating the complexities of Build Over Agreements, CCTV surveys provide invaluable insights. They illuminate the hidden world beneath the surface, allowing you to build with confidence, protect existing infrastructure, and ultimately, pave the way for a successful project.
What’s Included in a Drainflow CCTV Drain Survey?
For the past two decades, Drainflow has been the trusted choice for homeowners and businesses across Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, and North London. Our comprehensive CCTV drain survey includes the following components:
- A detailed inspection of the drainage infrastructure using remote-controlled, wheel-mounted CCTV cameras.
- The CCTV camera provides visual data which then undergoes analysis. This includes measurements, composition, age, and defects.
- A detailed report is created summarising our analytical findings and recommendations. This can be included in your Build Over Agreement application documentation.
Understanding what a CCTV survey includes empowers you to make informed decisions, navigate the BOA process with confidence, and ultimately, build your project on a foundation of knowledge and safety.
If you would like to talk to a Drainflow engineer about using a CCTV survey as part of your BOA application, simply give us a call on 01525 718500